View current and archived news about Rancho Cordova. Click here to contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department.
Meet the Rancho Cordova Police Department’s Traffic Unit
Meet the Rancho Cordova Police Department (RCPD)’s Traffic Unit! RCPD’s Traffic Unit focuses on improving traffic safety and reducing traffic collisions in Rancho Cordova.
The Traffic Unit is comprised of a Sergeant, a traffic detective, six motorcycle officers, and a parking enforcement officer. The Unit focuses on three E’s: engineering, education and enforcement.
“More people are killed in traffic collisions than in violent crimes each year,” said Sergeant Scott Wall. “The Traffic Unit continues to improve traffic safety in the City of Rancho Cordova by ensuring our roadways are maintained, educating our community, and enforcing the law.”
- The Traffic Unit partners closely with the City of Rancho Cordova’s Public Works Department to ensure city roadways are maintained for safe travel and to identify safety concerns that could be solved with traffic calming measures, such as speed humps, crosswalks, and stop signs.
- The Traffic Unit focuses on educating the community about traffic safety by speaking at local meetings, local high schools specifically for driver’s education, and in other venues.
- The Traffic Unit received a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety to increase education about topics such as bicycle and pedestrian safety and driving under the influence (DUI).
- Two officers from the Traffic Unit created an in-house training program that teaches RCPD officers how to investigate traffic collisions and respond to DUIs. Click here to read more about the program.
- One officer from the Traffic Unit is a Drug Recognition Expert. The officer attends focused training to pass on additional knowledge to RCPD officers regarding DUI and drug trends, in addition to speaking in the community and at businesses regarding the impacts of impaired driving.
- The motor officers enforce the vehicle code traffic laws, investigate serious and fatal traffic collisions, and assist patrol officers with traffic collision and DUI investigations.
- The motor officers respond to traffic complaints made by residents, in addition to proactively enforcing bicycle and pedestrian laws in Rancho Cordova.
- The motor officers also provide traffic control for large community events, such as the California Capital Airshow and Rancho Cordova Fourth of July Celebration.
- The traffic detective is responsible for reviewing all traffic collision and DUI reports, conducting follow-up investigations on traffic-related incidents, and reviewing and monitoring parking citation appeals.
If you have traffic safety and speeding concerns in Rancho Cordova, you can report them by contacting RCPD's Traffic Unit at 916-875-9632 or through the City of Rancho Cordova’s Fresh Connect online reporting system by clicking here.
Stay tuned to future editions of The Dispatch to learn more about the Traffic Unit!