Council Member McGarvey was elected to the first City Council in 2002 and reelected in 2004, 2008, and 2012. He served as Vice Mayor in 2005, 2010, and 2014, and as Mayor in 2006, 2011 and 2015.
|Address||2729 Prospect Park Drive
Rancho Cordova CA 95670
Represents the City:
- National League of Cities First Tier Suburbs Steering Committee and General Committee
- League of California Cities Administrative Policy Committee (Sacramento Valley Division Representative)
- Mayors & Board Chair Forum
- Mather Community Campus Community Advisory Committee
- Rancho Cordova Sister Cities Council
- Sacramento Transportation Authority
- Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control District Board
- Folsom Lake College Foundation
- Kilgore Cemetery Subcommittee
- Growing Strong Neighborhoods Subcommittee
- Elk Grove Unified School District 2x2*
- Golden State Water 2x2*
- Sacramento County 2x2*
- Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District 2x2*
- SMUD 2x2*
- Veterans Day and Memorial Day Committees
Bob, who has lived in Rancho Cordova since 1967, has been a steadfast leader in many community, church, and school organizations and activities. He was named Rancho Cordova Man of the Year by the Grapevine Independent Newspaper in 1987. He has been an active member of the Mather Restoration Advisory Board since 1994 and the Cordova Community Council since 1975. During his first tenure as Mayor, he formed a Sister City Citizens Committee that resulted in Turrialba, Costa Rica becoming a Sister City with Rancho Cordova; he started the Rancho Cordova Veterans Day and Memorial Day celebrations at the Veteran Memorial Plaza VA Hospital; and created the first Rancho Cordova Post Cards because none could be found in the City.
He retired from PacBell after 33 years working in the central offices and network operation center. He is a substitute teacher in the Folsom/Cordova School District. He served in the Air Force from 1961 to 1967 - the last 2 1/2 years of active duty was serving at Mather AFB, and the last two years were in the reserves. He received an A.A. degree from Sacramento City College, and a B.A. in Government from California State University, Sacramento. His hobbies include fishing, hunting, camping, reading, and playing the piano. He and his wife, Terri, have four children and eight grandchildren.
*2x2: One or two Council members are appointed by the Mayor (therefore, not constituting a quorum) to meet with one or two board members from a partner agency for the purpose of building relationships and holding general discussions regarding projects of mutual interest.