How to Request Public Records
In accordance with the California Public Records Act (“Act”), Govt. Code § 6250 et. seq., the City of Rancho Cordova provides access to public records, except those exempt from disclosure by law. Pursuant to the Act, the City has (10) days from receipt of the request to determine whether the request, in whole or in part, seeks copies of disclosable public records in the City’s possession and to notify the requestor of that determination. In unusual circumstances, the 10-day time limit may be extended by up to 14 days by written notice to the requestor, setting forth the reason for the time extension as required by the Act. If the City determines there are disclosable public records, the records will be made available as promptly as is reasonably practicable. Request for copies of identifiable public record must be accompanied by payment of fees to cover the direct costs of duplication before copies are released. The City’s copying cost is $0.10 per page. Please submit a check or money order made payable to the City of Rancho Cordova City Clerk’s Department. Alternatively, records may be emailed to the requestor in a .PDF format or desired format if available at no cost or on CD for a flat rate of $5.00 per disk. Under Govt. Code § 6253(e) local agencies are under no obligation to create records that do not already exist at the time of the request.
Requests for easily identifiable public records may be made in person in the City Clerk’s office upon which copies will be made available, in a reasonable amount of time, for a nominal fee; however, more complex requests should be submitted in writing. Please complete the below Public Records Request Form and return via email or print the form and return via U.S. mail or walk-in to the City Clerk’s Department at City Hall.
- Click here for Public Records Request Form.
- Click here for A Pocket Guide to the California Public Records Act provided by The First Amendment Project Society of Professional Journalists (Nor. Cal.).
- Click here to be linked to the League of California Cities "The People’s Business: A Guide to the California Public Records Act."
- Click here to be linked to the California Government Code Chapter 3.5: Inspection of Public Records.
- Article 1: General Provisions: § 6250 - § 6270.5
- Article 2: Other Exemptions from Disclosure: § 6275 - § 6276.48