View current and archived news about Rancho Cordova. Click here to contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department.
City of Rancho Cordova Staff Look to Award Scholarships to Graduating Seniors
“I’ve always felt most happy when I was able to serve others, because that’s where I receive the most joy,” said George Washington Carver School of Arts and Science student Sorina Munteanu, recipient of the City of Rancho Cordova 2018 Community PRIDE Scholarship.
Funded by City of Rancho Cordova staff, the scholarship presented to Sorina was due to her academic achievements along with her demonstrated commitment to giving back to her community through extraordinary acts of kindness.
Eleven years ago, City of Rancho Cordova employees wanted to find a way to provide opportunities for students to explore educational opportunities after high school, but recognized that attending college can be very costly. In an effort to highlight graduating students who have been involved in enhancing their community, a scholarship was created and funded by employees at City Hall. This year, the fund will award two $500 scholarships to 2019 graduating high school seniors living in the Rancho Cordova City boundaries who demonstrate pride in their community, volunteer efforts, and ambition to succeed.
In order to be eligible for the PRIDE Scholarship, a student must meet the following requirements:
• Be a 2019 graduating high school senior residing in the City of Rancho Cordova boundaries.
• Have a minimum 3.0 GPA and provide a copy of your transcript.
• Must be accepted or registered with an accredited college, university, vocational or technical school; provide proof of enrollment.
• Provide one letter of recommendation from a community leader, teacher, and/or employer.
• Write an essay that is no more than 700 words that demonstrates the attributes of good citizenship and service in school and the Rancho Cordova community; also include future academic plans.
• Applications must be postmarked, delivered or emailed to City Hall before 5:00 p.m. on April 5, 2019.
To learn more about the Community PRIDE Scholarship and to complete an application, please visit www.cityofranchocordova.org/scholarship.