Animal Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What do I do if I find a stray animal?

A stray dog or cat is one without any identification as to the owner, and you do not know the owner. You may check the neighborhood for the owner, run a found ad in the local newspaper, call Animal Services to come and get the animal, call Animal Services to leave a found report, or you can bring the animal to the SPCA. Be careful with any stray animal because they do not know you and may bite to protect themselves. Also, do not post any found signs as it is prohibited.

2. What do I do if I find an injured pet?

Be extremely careful around an injured animal. If the animal has to be moved, secure the mouth with a tie to prevent it from biting you. You may transport the animal to a veterinarian, but you may be asked to take financial responsibility for the animal’s care. You can also call the Animal Services Department (916) 851-8852, and we will transport the animal to a veterinarian.

3. What do I do if an animal bites me or someone I know?

If you are bitten, seek medical attention. The doctor will need the following information: your name, address, telephone number, place where you were bitten, date and time of the bite, and the circumstances of the bite incident. They will also need any information about the animal i.e. animal type, breed, description, location of the animal and any owner information you may have. After seeking medical aide, call Animal Services (916) 851-8852, to report the bite to Rabies Control. The same information will be needed. An officer will take the information and quarantine the animal.

4. What do I do if I find injured or abandoned wildlife?

Handling injured or abandoned wildlife can be very dangerous. If it is baby or juvenile, it may not be abandoned at all. Leave it alone and call a professional: Wildlife Services (916) 875-6603, Fish and Game (916) 653-7664.

5. What do I do if I find livestock on the road?

Livestock could be anything from pigs to horses. If there are live animals on the road that pose a threat to traffic, call the California Highway Patrol and Animal Services (916) 851-8852, immediately. If the animal is deceased, notify Animal Services.

6. My neighbor's dog runs loose all the time and is chasing people, what can I do?

You need to contact Animal Services immediately. An officer will be dispatched to investigate the potentially dangerous situation.

7. My neighbor’s dog barks all the time, what can I do?

First, notify your neighbor. They may not be aware of the problem. If it persists, contact Animal Services and an officer will be dispatched to investigate.

8. My pet recently died, what can I do?

Animal disposal is available at most veterinary offices and at the Sacramento SPCA during normal business hours.

9. I have a lot of stray cats around, what can I do?

Stray cats may be owned, so check with your neighbors. Otherwise, cats may be trapped (rent a humane trap) and taken to the Sacramento SPCA.  You may also contact Animal Services for help.

10. My neighbors have two dogs and seldom clean up after them. What can I do, the odor and flies are terrible?

Again, try talking to your neighbor, first. If that fails, call Code Enforcement at (916) 851-8770.

11. When do I have to license my dog or cat?

Dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies and licensed when they are four (4) months of age. If you are new to the city, you have 30 days to license your pets.