Code Enforcement FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Because there are so many types of codes - many involving complex technical or legal issues - residents frequently have questions about code enforcement and their role in making Rancho Cordova a better place to live and work. The following information will answer the most frequently asked questions about code enforcement in our community.

How are codes enforced?

The code enforcement process is typically initiated in several ways: 1) observation of a code violation by City staff as they patrol the community and do their jobs; 2) as a consequence of an action (for example, an application for a building permit or a request for a zoning variance); or 3) in response to a complaint by an individual.

How do I notify the City about a possible code violation?

A complaint about a possible code violation is made by letter, telephone, email, or in person to the City of Rancho Cordova Code Enforcement Division located at:

City of Rancho Cordova
Neighborhood Services Center
2880 Gold Tailings Ct.
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: (916) 851-8770 

In an average year, the City receives several thousand complaints related to possible code enforcement violations. Please be prepared with specific information, such as the address of the property, detailed description of the situation, and the length of time you have observed the situation. Complaints may be made anonymously (however, this may restrict the City's ability to follow-up on the complaint or our ability to obtain additional details which might assist in resolving the situation).

What is the procedure for following up on possible code violations?

City staff responds to code enforcement complaints according to the impact of the violation on the community. Situations that appear to pose a serious risk to health and safety are given top priority; others are pursued in the order in which they are received.

For all types of code complaints, the first step in the follow-up procedure is personal contact by a City staff member to ascertain if a code violation exists, and to request remediation. If the individual responsible for the situation is not available, or appears unwilling to voluntarily correct the code violation in a timely manner, a notice and order or a citation may be issued. The City may also take court action if the situation poses a significant risk to the community or if the individual has ignored previous notices/citations.

What penalties result from code violations?

In many cases, the individual responsible for the code violation is given the opportunity to voluntarily correct the situation and comply with current codes without a penalty. If the correction is not made, then the individual may be subject to fines and other penalties.

What is the phone number to California Poison Control Help Line?